Here are some of the effects that sexual assault may have on an individual
- Physical problems such as headaches, fatigue, STI, unwanted pregnancy, injuries
- Psychological problems such as sadness, depression, anxiety, guilt, anger, rage, fear, low self-esteem, suicidal thoughts, self mutilation
- Sexual problems such as lessening of desire or becoming hypersexualised, pain during intercourse or disgust with sexuality
- Difficulty in relationships with spouse, friends or family
- Dependency problems with drugs, alcohol, gambling or medication
These consquences can be experienced by all victims of sexual assault whether they be male or female
It is important to reach out and get support when dealing with these consequences.